Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Update on Alex....

Today Alex had his "big" visit at U of M with a group of specialists and surgeons.  It was a long day filled with many tests, pictures of his eye, poking, waiting, etc.  BUT....Alex was a trooper:)  A couple of decisions were made today: 

1) Alex will NOT need to have the major surgery that they were anticipating a few months ago.  His surgeon believes that the risks are too high for what the surgery will do for his eye and it won't be worth it.  He WILL need another surgery that isn't as complex.  This will have a 2 week intense recovery period and then a few weeks of until the swelling goes down.  This surgery will help Alex's vision and take care of some of the problems his tumor has caused over the last 5 years.  This surgery will probably take place this summer, but it will be costly as our insurance will more than likely make us pay for up to $4,000 out of pocket....gotta love insurance companies sometimes:)  But....we are so thankful that this is the surgery they want to go with:)

2) This is even better news.....the vision in his left eye got a little better!  Something they felt was not going to happen anymore because by the age of 5 it is hard for this progress to keep occurring.  I think they were pretty shocked:)

Another awesome thing that happened today was that while we were waiting at one point I was able to chat with a mom who was there with her 4 month old baby girl.  Her daughter had similar issues (like Alex did at that age) and she was there for the first time and was pretty nervous and scared.  I completely knew how she felt and we were able to chat and she asked me numerous questions about Alex and the last 5 years.  I was able to encourage her about how God healed Alex from a few of the issues that arose and how he didn't need other surgeries or procedures they were predicting.  Before I had to leave for the next appointment she gave me a hug and said she felt so much better. 

Even though the day was filled with hours of waiting and my teary 5 year old getting poked and prodded for hours, the results were much better than what I was anticipating and it was so awesome how God opened up that opportunity for the mom and I to talk.  Dan and I are both very thankful for what HE is doing:)


3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome!! I bet that other mom was thrilled to talk with you! I know I've been on a few journies myself that I wouldn't mind sharing to anyone who wanted to listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you all in my prayers... God does miraculous things everyday.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly and Jen:) I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete